Fight For Your Write is an awesome mission by BIC to save handwriting. Their goal is to educate people on the benefits derived from handwriting (much like our Project Learning Curve) and inspire people to take a pledge to encourage handwriting within their homes, schools and communities. The mission page goes into the detail of why handwriting is such a crucial skill and also (maybe surprisingly to some) important in child development. They tout that “handwriting can make you awesome”, and we have to agree. How you ask? Here are a few of the reasons they give.
- Improves Cognitive Development
- Builds Self-Confidence
- Betters School Performance
- Helps Reading Skills
- Sparks Creativity
- Sharpens Critical Thinking Skills
I don’t know about you but I consider all of these to be exceptionally noteworthy motives to ensure that handwriting is still taught and encouraged in schools. Unfortunately, BIC lists some scary statistics showing that handwriting has been neglected lately. I have listed some of the more alarming ones below.
- Only 12% of teachers across the U.S. had college-level courses that prepared them to teach handwriting.
- 75% of American students, grades 4-12 were writing below grade level on a national writing exam.
- 33% of college students were unprepared to write at a college level.
- The percentage of the student population that is not proficient in handwriting may be as high at 25-33 percent.
This development must be reversed before it gets any worse. I hope that you will take a stand for handwriting now to make sure that its importance is no longer discounted. Take BIC’s Fight For Your Write pledge and do your part to restore handwriting to its former glory.