Make Sure To Stand Out This Holiday Season
The concept that direct mail is a marketing trend of the past is false. Working under a tight budget is the ultimate concern and with the biggest sale season of the year approaching, it is important to consider all channels to increase your holiday sales and customer loyalty.
Whether you are working with an internal team or clients, the first and most important step is to understand what the overall goals and objectives are. Depending on what industry you’re in, the holiday season is usually a great time to introduce new products. It is also the season to build customer loyalty, re-engage with consumers you haven’t seen or activate new accounts. These are all measurable goals that should be established before any campaign.
5 key tips to a successful direct mail campaign this holiday season
- Be thoughtful: Understand that this is the biggest selling season of the year and you’re not the only one who is trying to capitalize on this event. Consider print techniques or interesting fold to make your pieces stand out. According to Marketing Sherpa, most consumers disregard direct mail due to the volume in their mailbox. When planning your Holiday Season outreach strategy, it’s important to start early but be mindful of your audience’s overall patience.
Simple and unique with a clear objective of staying top of mind and building customer loyalty.
- Be targeted: Take the time to make sure your list is clean and set clear goals and objectives. Personalizing your message and having a targeted offer with measurable KPI ensure budget is optimized for the greatest ROI potential. Target Marketing does a great job breaking down ways to personalize your direct mail piece.
- Be creative: Be creative with your design and message but genuine. There’s nothing worse than a brand or retailer trying the newest gimmick just to get attention without any sustenance behind the message during the holiday season. Something as simple as a personalized Holiday postcard featuring a product or service of interest will go a long way. Our new Lynx Cream White is a great example in how a unique hue in paper selection can enhance your design while still delivering the message without gimmicks.
- Embrace the media mix: I’m a strong advocate in using more than one method in a campaign. With all the different modes of communication and our limited attention span, knowing who your customers are is just not enough anymore. You need to know who they are, where they are going for information and where are they buying? Make sure you’re integrating digital and social into your marketing mix in all your campaigns to maximize your total reach and budget.
- Be prepared: Last and not least, the one thing that can bomb your Holiday Season Sales Tactics is product availability. Make sure you are prepared for a blowout sale and always have a back up plan.
- Over 110.7 million U.S, adults made a catalog purchase in 2016
- Volume of direct mail went down to 149.4 billion in 2016, but direct mail as a percentage of all mail went up.
- 9.8 billion catalogs were mailed in 2016
- Direct Mail response rates – 2016
- House files: 5.3%
- Prospect list: 2.9
- Dear Marketer, Drive Direct Mail Response with Handwriting
- What’s my Name! How Personalization Campaigns Up Your Direct Mail Game
- Informed Delivery: how the New USPS Service Can Impact Your Direct Mail Campaign